
So on Sunday the 25th, it came to me that my baby Quinton was meant to be with another family. This, as you can imagine, was very hard for me to digest. I knew what I had to do and on Monday, Audra from LDS Social Services came to my house. I had looked at some couples on the website itsaboutlove.org and found a biracial couple that looked and felt right. Audra called them and we met that night. We talked and after they left, I felt they weren't the ones to raise my baby. A few days went by and on Friday, Audra called and suggested I look at a couple named Steve and Angie. I went onto their profile and read about them and their family. I asked to meet them and at 7 that night they were at my door. They came in and I asked some questions and their answers were just what I wanted to hear. When I asked if they wanted to hold the baby, they both jumped to the edge of the couch with their arms wide open. I gave Q to Angie and she looked so sweet with him. After awhile, Angie gave him to Steve and that was a wonderful site. This big tall blonde white man holding this little dark haired baby was beautiful. He was so gentle with him. We wrapped the interview up and hugged each other and said our goodbyes.
Audra called and said Angie's parents were in town and maybe we could meet them the next day, Saturday. I called Angie and we made a breakfast date for the next morning at 10. My mom, Quinton and I arrived a little after 10 and were greeted by Angie, Steve, her mom and dad, and her brother and sister-in-law and their 3 children. I felt the love this family had for each other the moment I stepped in. I asked Angie if she wanted to feed Quinton and she said yes. So we ate and she fed him and her mom asked if she could take pictures of him. We got to learn a lot about the family and their history. It was like we had known them forever! Angie gave me a tour of the house and I told her that I didn't want to leave. I just felt at home there. They gave me a wonderful book, For The Love of a Child: The Journey of Adoption, and each wrote a little note to me.
As we got ready to leave, I felt that this was the family that my Quinton was supposed to be a part of. They loved him already and I was just there for a visit! As we left the whole family waved and watched as we drove away. My mom tells me that she loves this family and I tell her that I love them too and that this is his eternal family. We get about 2 miles down the road and decide to turn around and tell them the wonderful news!!! I felt like I was floating as we were driving. I told my mom that as soon as they see the car, they will know. We pull up and I get to the door nervous as I have ever been. Angie answers and tells me we left the burp rag there. I ask if Steve is around and she calls him in and I get to tell them the most amazing news...
"You are his family".
The look on their faces and the tears in their eyes told me what I had just done for them. I loved this family and knew that they already had a love for my son. Her parents came out from the kitchen and we all hugged and cried and talked a little bit more. We decided to do the placement on Monday nite at 6. They came out and hugged my mom before we left. On the way home I cried. More for the excitement that was to come than out of sadness. I also had to call and tell my sisters the great news. They were so happy for me and for Steve and Angie.
Audra called and said Angie's parents were in town and maybe we could meet them the next day, Saturday. I called Angie and we made a breakfast date for the next morning at 10. My mom, Quinton and I arrived a little after 10 and were greeted by Angie, Steve, her mom and dad, and her brother and sister-in-law and their 3 children. I felt the love this family had for each other the moment I stepped in. I asked Angie if she wanted to feed Quinton and she said yes. So we ate and she fed him and her mom asked if she could take pictures of him. We got to learn a lot about the family and their history. It was like we had known them forever! Angie gave me a tour of the house and I told her that I didn't want to leave. I just felt at home there. They gave me a wonderful book, For The Love of a Child: The Journey of Adoption, and each wrote a little note to me.
As we got ready to leave, I felt that this was the family that my Quinton was supposed to be a part of. They loved him already and I was just there for a visit! As we left the whole family waved and watched as we drove away. My mom tells me that she loves this family and I tell her that I love them too and that this is his eternal family. We get about 2 miles down the road and decide to turn around and tell them the wonderful news!!! I felt like I was floating as we were driving. I told my mom that as soon as they see the car, they will know. We pull up and I get to the door nervous as I have ever been. Angie answers and tells me we left the burp rag there. I ask if Steve is around and she calls him in and I get to tell them the most amazing news...
"You are his family".
The look on their faces and the tears in their eyes told me what I had just done for them. I loved this family and knew that they already had a love for my son. Her parents came out from the kitchen and we all hugged and cried and talked a little bit more. We decided to do the placement on Monday nite at 6. They came out and hugged my mom before we left. On the way home I cried. More for the excitement that was to come than out of sadness. I also had to call and tell my sisters the great news. They were so happy for me and for Steve and Angie.
4 comments:
Norma, I love you. I am so tired tonight, Zad is happily sleeping away and I am sneeking a few moments to read Monica's blog when I find yours!!! You didn't tell me you had one, I love it. I love you. I love little Zad. Jenny, my sister-in-law asked me today if I felt "bonded" to him yet and telling me it was completely normal if I did not. I just stopped and thought for a moment, "What if he wasn't in my life anymore, its only been 5 days since I first met him, but I could never go back." I love him so much. My ward kept dropping by one by one today to see him and I found myself getting jelous!!! I kept thinking why do I hand him off when all I want to do is hold him day and night forever. Oh, I just had the image of holding a huge 30 year old man someday as me a little 60 year old lady!! Ha Ha, yes I think I will want to hold him then too.
Just wanted you to know tonight I think of you constantly, every time I look at him the image of your smiling face with tears streaming as you walked into my house Monday night comes to mind and my heart feels as though it will burst with love for you. I asked myself tonight who I thought I had grown to love more in the last 5 days since I met you, you or Zad? And then thought I am so grateful for Heavenly Father cause he allowed my heart to grow bigger than I ever thought a heart to grow, I love you both so much my old heart could not have contained it. I love you with my giant heart, all of its new size and all and Z just as much. Yes, I think I have a Grinch heart now (but I hope I wasn't that awful before I met you).
Thinking of you tonight...
Hey Norma! I just found your blog. Would you mind posting your story to our blog at adoptionaz.blogspot.com? I'm going to send you an author invite. Have fun on your visit!
Norma-- Thank you for that wonderful story. I placed my daughter 3 months ago and i have an open adoption as well. this is definitly a selfless act of love. You gave your son an amzing gift of love and he will forever love you for your choice. i placed my daughter because she needed a mother and FATHER and i wasnt able to give her a father cause he didnt want to be there all the time. feel free to chat anytime.
You don't know me, but I am a friend of Jen's (the photographer who came to take pictures of Zadok). She told me so many beautiful things about you, and when I saw that you had a blog, I had to come and read the story for myself. First of all, he is a gorgeous little boy! Secondly, I just cannot tell you how much I admire you for your strength and your beauty and your faith. You are truly an angel and an instrument in God's hands. Please know that you have touched the lives of strangers, and that we are praying for you at this time too.
Post a Comment